Many, if not most, people try to build up their nest egg for retirement so when that day comes, they can truly enjoy their golden years. But the truth is, things are expensive and even with savings, seniors still may worry about spending too much on luxuries, let alone necessities.
But the good thing is that many organizations and businesses recognize that seniors may not have the flexible spending as younger generations may have. As a result, many places offer discounts to people over a specific age.
The Senior List is a great resource for deals and discounts! Below are just a few popular nationwide and local senior discounts:
- McDonald’s: Seniors 55+ receive discounts on coffee and beverages
- IHOP – 10% discount along with a Senior menu for people aged 55+ at participating locations
- Golden Corral: Senior discount varies by location
- Krispy Kreme: Senior 50+ receive 10% off (age and discount varies by location)
- Subway: 10% off (60+) varies by location
- Old Country Buffet: Daily discounts for seniors (55+)
- Chick-fil-A: Seniors receive a free refillable senior drink, not including coffee. – Varies by location.
- Dunkin’ Donuts: AARP members receive a free donut with the purchase of a large or XL beverage
- Bi-Lo: 5% for seniors 60+ every Wednesday
- Publix: 5% for seniors 60+ off Wednesday; only in Tennessee, North Carolina and the northern parts of Alabama, South Carolina, and Georgia
- Harris Teeter: 5% for seniors 60+ every Thursday
- Tanger Outlets AARP and AAA members receive a complimentary coupon book; additionally, stores may offer senior discounts.
- Brookgreen Gardens: Discounted ticket for seniors 65+.
- South Carolina State Parks: Seniors 65+ can purchase a Palmetto Passport for half the cost of the regular State Park Passport.
- AMC & Cinemark : Discounts up to 30% off for seniors 60+. Some theaters offer “Senior Day” which offers discounts up to 60% off.
- Regal Cinemas: Discounts up to 30% off for seniors 60+.
Even if you don’t see that a business offers a senior discount, ask if they do, you may be surprised. By taking advantage of these discounts, seniors can extend income and savings to go further.