5 WAYS GARDENING BOOSTS SENIOR HEALTH
Studies have shown that spending time in nature has been associated with improved emotion and mood regulation.
Gardening is a great option for a low impact physical activity for seniors, that comes with several health benefits!
- GARDENING LOWERS STRESS- Studies have found that gardening can lower levels of cortisol which can alleviate stress and even reduce high blood pressure! Gardening can increases the production of serotonin and dopamine — the happy hormones — in our bodies. It also helps decrease the amount of cortisol in your body, a stress hormone.
- GARDENING INCREASES SEROTONIN- Gardening can increases the production of serotonin and dopamine. Serotonin is a happy chemical, a natural anti-depressant, and strengthens the immune system in our bodies. It also helps decrease the amount of cortisol in your body, a stress hormone. Some studies have even linked gardening to a reduction in symptoms of depression.
- GARDENING INCREASES MOBILITY & REDUCES PAIN – Gardening can also help increase mobility and strength. Keeping lesser-used muscles engaged, gardening has been shown to be a productive way of rebuilding strength and mobility following a stroke. In addition, staying busy in the garden can keep seniors’ minds off their physical aches and pains and keep their minds off their troubles.
- GARDENING CAN HELP BOOST HEART HEALTH AND REDUCES THE RISK OF STROKE- As a moderately intense exercise, gardening can easily count towards the recommended 30 minutes of daily exercise. A study from Stockholm found that regular gardening can reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke by as much as 30% for people over 60.
- GARDENING CAN INCREASE VITAMIN D LEVELS- Vitamin D increases your calcium levels, which benefits your bones and immune system. Studies have found that exposure to sunlight helped older adults achieve adequate serum vitamin D levels. Outdoor activities like gardening are a great way to get sunshine while pursuing a fun hobby. Just don’t forget the sunscreen to protect your skin, and sunglasses for your eyes!