Unleashing the Love
The best therapy has fur and four legs!
Research has shown that caring for a pet can help reduce stress and relieve depression and anxiety. One study even found that spending just 15 minutes with an animal initiates hormonal changes in the brain, dropping stress levels and increasing serotonin (the “feel-good” hormone) levels.
Cuddling our furry friends offers emotional, physical, and mental benefits for all ages, but even more so for seniors who are at an increased risk for loneliness and isolation.
Some benefits of pet therapy for seniors include:
- Increased self-esteem and confidence
- Improved social skills
- Reduced risk of depression
- Lessened levels of anxiety
- Reduced feelings of loneliness
- An increased ability to show gentleness and caring
- Lowered blood pressure
- Reduction in depression, stress, and anxiety levels
- Memory stimulation
- Calming behaviors associated with dementia
ICR believes in the power of pets and has partnered with our local Love On A Leash®. Love on a Leash is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to providing an avenue for volunteer pet therapy teams to engage in meaningful and productive animal-assisted therapy.
This partnership has provided our residents comfort, happiness, and healing through pet-provided therapy. Everyone at ICR looks forward to each of visits!