Walking is an excellent form of exercise that is often overlooked. It offers numerous health benefits to people of all ages and fitness levels, and can easily be added into your daily routine. Here is a list of just some of the health benefits associated with walking:
- It eases joint pain. Studies have found that walking reduces arthritis-related pain, and that walking five to six miles a week can even prevent arthritis from forming in the first place. Walking protects the joints — especially the knees and hips, which are most susceptible to osteoarthritis — by lubricating them and strengthening the muscles that support them.
- It boosts immune system. Studies show exercise, like walking regularly, can improve and boost your immune system and help decrease the intensity and duration of a common cold.
- It increases energy. Walking increases blood flow around the body so that more blood — containing oxygen and nutrients for fuel — can reach the large muscles in the legs as well as the brain, leaving you feeling energized.
- It improves heart health. Walking has been found to reduce your risk of cardiovascular events, such as a heart attack, by 31%.
- It extends life expectancy. Walking has been linked to a decreased risk of mortality, or a longer life expectancy. And the longer and faster you walk, the more it can increase your life expectancy.
These are just some of the reasons walking is great exercise! Residents at Inlet Coastal Resort are able to enjoy a walking path with the assistance of dedicated staff. To ensure safety, there is a 1:1 ratio of staff to residents, and only two groups at a time.